Wednesday, April 7, 2010

PATRICK'S DAY


I never imagined I'd have anyting in common with Jordan..Was is it I hear you say? Her humungous implants ? Her abrasive interviewee skills? Peter Andre? Read on -all will become clear
Our first born, Patrick, was a dream baby slept loads, hardly cried and was happy and content At 6 months my MIL said he had a turn in his eye we should get checked out so unconcerned I brought him to eye clinic and was a bit alarmed when they sent us to Dublin for a 2nd opinion However both Paul (hubby) and I agreed that the worst case scenario would be if the had to operate on our little boy to straighten the turn We saw Professor O'Keefe in the Mater private In hindsight it must have been hard on him to drop the bombshell that our baby was blind in his right eye when we were totally unprepared for such awful news It turned out that Patrick had been born with ONH (optic nerve hydoplasia) which means that his main optic nerve did not develop in the womb... he would never have sight in his right eye and nothing could be done to give him that lost sight So thats where the(only) similarity with Katie Price comes about Her eldest boy Harvey was born with the same condition but in both eyes (which is the norm- we were very lucky) However Katie Price did not believe nothing could be done and carted him off to LA to be pumped with steroids and god knows what with the result that he has a load more health problems, I believe as a result of this intervention!
Patrick has led a perfectly normal life, is popular in school, clever and a great sports guy even donning the black n' amber helmet and taking his fair share of pucks He is aware that he has to mind his sighted eye but it doesn't single him out in any way His Dad and I are definitely 'glass half full' types of people so we are thankful that it wasn't worse We've been to both Temple st and Crumlin so perspective has been dosed in large amounts

6 comments:

  1. Wow Kat, did not know that about your son, its hard having a bombshell like that dropped on you but you and he have coped with the way things are just like you are coping with Gia. When my little man was diagnosed with epilepsy I thought the worst and three years on things are managed with medication and it gets easier, thats not to say you stop worrying though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ì never knew that either kat. fair play to both of you for being so positive about it, and fair play to your son for not letting it get in his way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow kat, that is some bombshell to have dropped on you! I admire your positivity, and having spent quite a while in crumlin with button, agree that there's no better place for a dose of perspective! Great start hun, looking forward to reading more xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG just re-reading this and spotting all the typos I'll do better next time I promise X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey:) Lovely to see you here and I also didn't know about his eyesight, love the way you have handled it though and I firmly believe that children pick up on our positive attitudes so I am not surprised at all that he is outgoing, popular and busy :D Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Blogland Kat! Great first post! Thanks for sharing your story, It must have been very worrying. Still is, no doubt and Patrick sounds like a fabulous kid. I want to hear more!! xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete