
I wasn't born particularly LUCKY- no silver spoons clogging up my airway or anything, I suppose it just turned out that way.
Unfortunately it hasn't been the kind of LUCK that helps you win the 'lotto' In fact I never won anything of any significance in my life.
This LUCKINESS started when I was about 24 and was diagnosed with a condition that was potentially debilitating, however it transpired I had the non-progressive type and have been living with very few symptoms since..So there's my first lucky strike.
The next time I truly felt LUCKY (apart from meeting my husband but i think Paul was the LUCKY one there lol) was when my firstborn Patrick was found to have an eye condition and fortunately only one of his eyes was affected.

When Gia came along naturally I felt so LUCKY to have a beautiful little girl, but not so much when she turned out to be totally different to Patrick and was quite a difficult baby. By the time she turned one year old it became apparent there was a problem. Eventually after 3 1/2 years we had our diagnosis of Aspergers and the jigsaw suddenly fit. We were very LUCKY, she had a 'high functioning autism' (sorry Petunia)
Kayla who was born 17 months after Gia was a dream baby and is only now turning out to be the defiant teenager she isn't.

So you can see I am steeped in LUCK .... so how come sometimes I look at others and feel so much resentment and jealousy.
And another thing, other mothers telling me that Gia is great ...'sure she's no different to my own.... they all do that ...she's going through a stage... ' those opinions infuriate me 'Take her off, I want to say, and live with her for a week, even a day, then give me your opinion'
Anyway (rant over) I want to say I do really appreciate how FORTUNATE I've been and I wouldn't change my lot for any 'lotto' money
I only have to look at my family and into my childrens' faces to realise how truly LUCKY I am x x x
I am a 'glass is half full' kinda girl myself too and there is always a silver lining and yes, things could always be worse. It's hard to remember that though on some of the harder days but it does come back. I guess we are lucky to have the attitude we do :D Lovely post m'dear:)It is nice to be reminded every now and again:) Jen.
ReplyDeleteI think when you're the parent of a special needs child you're expected to say how 'lucky' you are - I s'pose cos no-one wants to be labelled a moaner. And if you just concentrated on the sh*t stuff all the time you'd just go nuts! Glad I found your blog xx
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean when people say 'ah sure we all have those things' yeah really, well does your son go nuts because he can't get his clothes off to go to the toilet due to a sensory issue'!! Great blog xx
ReplyDelete